Navigation Menu

Sunday 20 January 2013

Brandied chicken and mushrooms in oyster sauce

Brandied chicken and mushrooms in oyster sauce- Chinese Foods:

I'm just back from a nice long trip to Boston, to visit family for the holidays. I have to admit: it was very nice for a short time a break from blogging. Have already
a blogger for so long (5 years!), I have sometimes to separate a lot of trouble from daily life. It is not like having a 9-5 job, where you mostly work in the Office. Evenings? Why not midnight work to a post like to stay? Weekends? Perfect time for the recipe test!



In the last year or so I have much better aside get setting time for relaxation. I have now at least one hour before going to bed to read or something similar such as relaxation, rather than only directly for processing photos hit the pillow. Saturdays have separate days you become (well, most importantly... email on the phone does not, right?)

Needless to say, couldn't get my habits better. And this is a solution for the period of 2013 to efficient work so that I have enough spare time to recharge my batteries.
One other solution is, that many, many cookbooks on my shelves sit actually use. I'm something of a fiend Cookbook collect and keep buying them, even though I run fast, no more space to store. Any gaps in my apartment has cookbooks from the coffee table on the wine list, under my bed. I should still cooking for some reason, not so often out of them as I.

I got a copy of the Asian grandmothers Cookbook a few months ago and had no opportunity until now to cook. I have for a few years after Pats blog and it made me always hungry nostalgic for dishes from all over Asia. The brandied chicken and mushrooms in oyster sauce from her cookbook seemed the perfect quick and easy meal to help transition from the holiday State of mind.
I have only a few small changes, like for example chicken thighs chicken breast instead. (As a great advocate for the delights of chicken legs this is a substitution, which I almost never do, but for some reason were three supermarkets near my home all of them on this day). But this dish is great with either ingredient. I have also a bit Chinese rice wine, loosen the chicken out of the Pan taking and the light taste went well with brandy. All in all a very simple comfort food court to start the new year.



Brandied chicken and mushrooms in oyster sauce
For 4 persons
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil3 cloves garlic, 1-inch MincedOne piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced1 medium yellow onion, thin sliced1 1/2 pounds boneless, without skin chicken breasts or thighs, cut 1-inch cubes2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry8 of ounces white button or Cremini mushrooms, stemmed and sliced1/4 cup Oyster sauce1 tablespoon soy SauceSalt and pepper to taste2 tablespoons brandy1 shallot, chopped or cut into thin slices for GarnishHeat a wok or a large skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and spiraling to the top coat. Add the garlic and ginger and cook until just fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the onion and carry you until tender and translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chicken and Cook, stirring, until no longer pink, 2 to 3 minutes. Vortex in the rice wine Brown, loosen the bits from the bottom of the pan.  Add the mushrooms, then the oyster sauce, soy sauce and brandy can add and simmer for another 2 or 3 minutes, until the chicken is completely cooked. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.  Transfer to a bowl, scallions sprinkled on top and serve.
Adapted from the Asian grandmothers Cookbook: Home cooking of Asian American cuisine.

No comments: